Pages

Passageways


In this selection of my watercolor paintings that span most of the last decade, I explore the conduits, connectors and structures that we move through both figuratively and literally. My lifelong fascination with these distinctly American intersections of access and egress has been influenced by many experiences such as hopping trains and walking bridges as a teenager, spending time in the huge convergent spaces of train yards and witnessing nature’s reclaiming of buildings that cry out to be remembered.
The movement of human beings and the invisible connections between everything around us evokes an almost kinetic energy in my work. The passing of buildings from optimal use to obsolescence is also part of my thinking in these paintings as well as how the passage of us all from birth to death connects us to our environment in unseen ways.